Monday, July 04, 2011

July 4, 2011

Last night we went to a fireworks show.  We RARELY let our kids stay up late and we were pretty sure that our fun family adventure would backfire on us today.  Isaac didn't sleep well and woke up early.  How do babies wake up so early when they go to bed late?  I'll never understand, but I know it has never worked for us.  Anyway, we had a really lazy day here at home.  It was peaceful and relaxing.  At SIX THIRTY when Isaac was wide awake for the day (this was after 30 minutes of mad intense crying and even correction for the little guy) when he became "happy" and thankfully hadn't woken everyone else up (I don't know how they sleep through him!) Isaac and I read our morning books together and then made this.  It was amazing.  I LOVE the butter.  I don't buy unsalted butter, but did for this and it is divine.  I even made the french toast with only egg yolks and with lemon zest.  Yep, breakfast was a big hit-  complete with "kid coffee" and cantaloupe- around 8:30 when everyone else was up and ready for the day.  The rest of the day was spent cleaning and organizing the garage (we have our annual yard sale coming up this weekend), staining fence sections (behind the kids in the pic), mowing, playing in the pool and riding bikes.  We had several friends over for dinner- the best kind, the kind you don't have to clean house for! hi, Chuck ;)  We had BLT's (thx to Jason for doing LOTS of bacon on the grill so our house wouldn't get all hot and greasy) and corn on the cob and watermelon and a yummy dessert that the kids enjoyed making with me.  It was basically a big cookie in the shape of a flag decorated with blue frosting and blueberries, red frosting and strawberries, and white stripes of cool whip.  Of course we had more cool whip and piles of blueberries and strawberries on the side.  Jason and I are probably going to be wide awake for quite awhile still.  It's 11:30 and the fireworks around our neighborhood are still going loud and strong.  I took a lot of pictures tonight to get the one above.  It's not perfect and the outtakes are probably my favorites.  I'll try to post more of those tomorrow.

p.s.  Ella helped me cut out and sew the garland that is pictured.  We made 2 of them.  I am getting so much joy out of crafting with her recently.  I feel like I've been waiting forever for my little girl to sew with me and now I'm enjoying it!  I have fond memories of doing the same thing with my mom.  I'll post pics to my other blog as well.

2 comments:

Future of Hope said...

Love it!
I spied that recipe and almost made that for breakfast yesterday, too! Instead we had waffles with blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries (and whipped cream - a special breakfast treat).
The garland looks great. Can't wait for more details!

Unknown said...

lovely post! and LOVE the garland