Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Home: giving thanks

If I had a quarter for every time I SAID, "say thank you" I'd be wearing jewels and dining on bacon (tee hee).  How many times do I SHOW thanks giving?  Thanksgiving should be more than a holiday.  It should be a way of life.  This month we have practiced thankfulness around here with the "thankfulness tree".  Each evening after dinner we each write on a leaf what we're thanking God for and add it to the tree.  My kids have really enjoyed this and I've noticed an overall attitude of gratefulness in the past few weeks that was almost nonexistent before.  They say it takes 21 days to form a habit.  Hopefully this one will stick.  Happy Thanksgiving!



See here for another giving thanks practice that's fun for the kids (and adults)!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a wonderful idea! Sooo cute! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

What a GREAt idea! I need to get a chalkboard in my home somewhere! Didi you just paint a flat piece of wood for yours?

Matt & Nicki said...

Just noticed your new kitchen curtains--CUTE!!

AnneB said...

I like it sis. I remember you telling me about doing something similar to this in your dorm room at Nland. I hope to form this habit of constant thanksgiving at God's good gifts and their presence all around as I raise my boys. Anne has to get credit for most of the implementation but we often will stop to ask them what they are thankful for before we eat our meals. It is such a blessing when they give out items of thanksgiving or tell us "lets pray and thank God, that is a gift from Him."